The Abusive Mom (3) there for you

The Abusive Mom (3) there for you

Sure, there are times when I'd rather have a carefree night on the town without worrying about whether my friends are squarely under my thumb. Sometimes when we're out at a club, I'm not in the mood to tell them they're embarrassing themselves, bark "Let's go!" and then pull them off the dance floor, making a scene in front of everyone. But I still do it, and you know why? That's just what unstable, borderline-psychotic moms do!
Hey, if it weren't for me, who would bring Yasmin way too many tequila shots just so she'll appreciate how important I am to her a few hours later when I'm holding back her hair as she pukes?
Though I play the motherly role, that doesn't mean our friendships aren't a two-way street. For every time I've reduced them to tears in the middle of a Victoria's Secret, there's been an occasion on which I've stormed out of a birthday party sobbing after getting only a vague response to the gift I gave them - a reaction that leaves them feeling guiltyashamed, and desperate to get back into my good graces. Just last week, when Jen was finally opening up about her painful childhood, I turned right back around and tearfully accused her of taking advantage of our friendship by saddling me with her emotional baggage.

carefree = bezstarostný, pohodový
at a club = v klubu, stejně jako např. at a party, at a meeting 
I'm not in the mood to... = nemám náladu na to, abych... (spojení "mít náladu" je jedno z těch, kde nepoužíváme sloveso mít na rozdíl od češtiny)
embarrass oneself = ztrapňovat se
pull them off the dance floor = strhnout je z parketu
if it weren't for me = kdyby nebylo mě / nebýt mě
shot = panák
she's way too important to me = je pro mě až moc důležitá
as = když (šlo by nahradit slovy when nebo while)
though = i když (zkrácené even though)
our friendship is a two-way street = naše přátelství je vzájemné (opětujeme, co pro nás dělá ten druhý)
storm out = vyřítit se odněkud
sob = vzlykat
after getting - opět po předložce následuje -ing tvar, stejně jako výše "without worrying"
vague = nijaký, nemastný neslaný
it leaves them feeling guilty = cítí se potom provinile
desperate = zoufalý
be in one's good graces = být s někým zadobře
I accused her of taking advantage of our friendship = obvinila jsem ji, že využívá našeho přátelství
saddle sb. with sth. = hodit někomu něco na krk

Komentáře

Populární příspěvky z tohoto blogu

Interview with a musician (1) - rozbor

An Interview with a Musician Ben Roth (1)