An Interview with a Musician Ben Roth (1)

An Interview with a Musician Ben Roth (1)

first saw Ben Roth when he played with the sadlynow-defunct band Perkasie. He was this crazy-haired guitar player who - had his bandmates not also been amazing - would have absolutely stolen the show. His music is wide-ranging in style, but no matter the style, there's an authenticity in every note. If I was 10 years younger, okay even though I'm not, Ben's one of those musicians you get those heart-rending crushes on. The interview will show you why.
What got you into music? What do you love about it? What do you hate?
My parents got me into music as a kid, always playing it in the car and at home and encouraging me to sing along. When I found my dad's old Martin in our basement I knew right away that I needed to learn how to play it. I would have friends over and show it off to them even though I had no idea how to play; I just thought that guitars were the coolest thing in the world.
I love music because it's my creative outlet and a way that I express myself / cope with all of the questions and emotions life brings. Music brings people together and makes people together; whether you are the one playing or listening, everyone loves music; it's a universal language!
One thing that I do hate about music is what the music "Scene" has become. Kids with super tight pants and shirts and stupid hair are starting bands for all the wrong reasons (attention, girls, money, image, etc). It's discouraging to see musicians who don't even believe in what they are doing in the music scene. I just put faith in the audience and listeners to tell the difference between music with substance and heart, from its counterparts.
What bands are you in? Can you describe their influences?
Right now I am involved in two musical projects. My solo project, and Bright and Early. They are considerably different styles of music, but I enjoy both very much. My stuff is a little more laid back rock and roll with some indie and acoustic influences. Bright and Early is a little more aggressive and straight forward rock and roll with more punk-ish influences.

Komentáře

Populární příspěvky z tohoto blogu

Teaching to Learn (6) rozbor

Interview with a musician (1) - rozbor